Sunday, March 16, 2008

Wacko Waco

Umm, Waco was not my favorite racing experience. I learned that it is easier to fake being in shape on the road than it is on the trails. I had not raced but one expert mountain bike race in three years and thought that I would be okay to just jump back into it. I was in for a rude awakening as the starter began the race and all the girls took off at top speed. I disappeared into the trails with them but soon started to panic at the fast pace we were weaving in and out of the trees. After about 15 minutes of slamming my breaks on, then accelerating from an almost dead stop, I was popped. The girls disappeared ahead of me. I was horrified as I thought to myself that I had only gone about 5 miles in a 20 mile race and was already toasted. I would end up finishing the WACO mtb race more tired than the 103 mile Rouge Roubaix. I had forgotten that mountain biking was a whole different kind of pain and my tolerance was pretty low. I did have a blast I loved wearing the MAD DUCK jersey. And Rachel, you ROCKED! I am so proud of you!

Here is a picture of the part they call "vortex":

No comments: