Monday, March 10, 2008

Rouge Roubaix

YESSSSS!!!!!!! I admit that I had big doubts about this one, but I survived! Only riding two times the past month, totaling under 75 miles I didn't think I was anywhere near going to race the Rouge Roubaix http://www.rougeroubaix.com/ , a 104 mile road/dirt road torture fest. After making the 8 hour drive Friday I was ready to stretch my legs out and ride a portion on the course on Saturday. After we ate breakfast, we pre-rode the 3rd dirt section and it was blast! The first hill (big Bertha) had most of us clipped out and walking. There was a lot of climbing and a few sketchy washed out ruts. I did not know if I would have the energy to complete all 3 dirt sections during the race if they were all like this one.

Sunday morning was burr-cold, but other than that the weather was great. Shannon, Rachel, Austin, and I raced the "B" race. The rest of the team rode in the "A" race. The first 20 miles went by pretty fast. Rachel and Austin started out in the front of our large group. Shannon and I would soon join them, after a near hit by a flying wood plank and a few exploding water bottle bombs. By the turn onto the first dirt section all four of us were close to the front of the group. Things started to split up a bit on that first section but I was glad that is was relatively flat compared to the section we pre-rode yesterday. When the dirt and gravel turned back to pavement I saw Shannon and Austin (and a few other randoms) not far ahead so I joined them for the next 40 miles of road. Once we hit the second dirt section I sank like a rock. I saw Shannon fly up the "mountain" like a billy goat. Fortunately, others dropped with me so I still had a few riding buddies. Once back on the road I knew the final dirt section was not too far off, but also that it was the hardest of the three. Soon enough I was unclipped and marching up the Big Bertha hill. I didn't feel too bad that I was doing the walk of shame because I didn't see anyone else make it up with out walking. I was so tired once I finished that section that I was looking for the finish line. It would not be for another 20+ miles. agh! There was now only two people with me, and I soon watched them ride away from me. I felt like I was going to die, I had to make it though. My odometer was not broken but it seemed like mile 93-98 lasted over an hour. Maybe it did. When I finished I was so happy to see the Metro VW van waiting with Accelerade and Pickle Juice. YUM!

For the women, Shannon got 3rd, I got 6th, and Rachel got 8th. All of us in the top 10! YAY! It was a good weekend.

2 comments:

Will "The Thrill" Snodgrass said...

good work, especially for not riding in so long!

scott said...

good ride! your team rode well.