Sunday, January 27, 2008

Saturday---"BOOM-DEAD"

My sister always uses the phrase "boom-dead" when she is tired beyond belief. Today, I used her phrase.
I do not know what I was thinking when I promised my friend I would compete in a 25 mile mountain bike race because I had not touched my mountain bike in almost 2 years. So much neglected time on Max and Caddy (the hard tail and full suspension, and yes I name my bikes) had passed that the shifting pods froze up. After a little TLC, I had Caddy ready for her big day, and decided not to test ride her, after all I would get to spend plenty of time with her on the trails during the race. I was excited! Well, after the first 10 miles I had realized that my 45 minute cyclocross races had not cut it for the amount of training I needed to do well in this mtb race. I then remembered I was doing the half-marathon versus the whole one and cheered up a little. I could feel my hands blistering. I loved the down hill rocky drops but dreaded the technical climbs. I didn't have to dismount for any of the tricky descents but had to get off my bike and push/pull/drag up most of the stupid climbs. All in all it was a "tremendous" ride and I fell in love with cross country mountain biking all over again. I ended up getting 2nd in my class and the 4th overall woman. I was happy.


By the way, Lance Armstrong was out there, racing his Mountain Bike!

No comments: