Sunday, July 27, 2008

Saturday Bicycle Heaven Ride

I rolled from my house headed towards Bicycle-Heaven at 6AM Saturday (instead of the normal 8:30 ride) with plans to ride 200k+ (124miles). It took me about 30 minutes to get to the shop and I was already soaked through with sweat, I could tell it was going to be a humid day.

At the shop I was surprised to see a dozen people ready to go. I knew that several or the riders would need to be back at the shop earlier but guessed there would be about 9 that would atempt the whole feat. At the start there were the 4 Slauson's (Jim, Teri, Will, JW), B-H reps Matt and Foxy, B-H team riders Phillips, Ayers and Bentley. There were a lot of Bicycle Heaven kits! The non-green/black outfitted riders where Park (Solar Eclipse), Dan Lazarine (the guy I credit my past cycling accomplishments to), Jun Longhurst (one of the first guys I met when I was working at Britton's Bike Shop), and lastly me in my Metro Volkswagen kit.

We rolled up Blanco Road over 46 past Edge Falls (bone dry despite the recent rain.) Stopped in Kendalia to eat (Will had 2 breakfast tacos) and refill fluids. From there Jim planned to head towards 281 then drop down Rittiman to keep as many riders together as long as possible, Nathan suggest continuing with the original plan and head up to Blanco on Crabapple. Good move as we might have bailed earlier on the ride if we headed back toward B-H with the riders going shorter. Plus the Crabapple, Trainer Wuest, 102 roads are some of the coolest roads to ride around.

I ended up with 114 miles, and was exhausted but the ride was a good one. Jun bailed on the longer ride a little earlier as we unfortunately rode fairly near his house at about mile 80 so he quietly slipped out of the group there.....
**Blog copied and pasted here from www.bicycle-heaven.com written by Jim Slauson-> Blog. I made some changes. I am a lazy slug...heheee**

No comments: